Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Moving Right Along... and a Duh Moment...

First, the duh moment...

So you may remember me complaining about my new scale. Turns out the extra weight was likely due to user error, not the scale itself. I've been storing the darn thing in the cupboard after weighing in, so each morning*, I take the scale out, place it on the kitchen floor, hop on, and then record that as my weight. This morning, I couldn't remember quite what cam after the decimal point, so I got back on...

And weighed like 4 pounds less.

So I did it again. Same result. I thought, "it must be the batteries", so I changed them out, and then read the instructions ever so nicely printed on the bottom of the scale. That first weight is a calibration thingy any time the scale has been moved, and should be disregarded. Once the scale is calibrated, and has shut off, the user can get their weight.

Believe me, 4.5 pounds less made me pretty chipper!

Okay, now the moving right along part...

I have mentioned before that my dad is in poor health. It turns out I had no idea how poor, until I finally started actually going in to all his doctors' appointments with him. I knew about the high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and stroke history. I knew he has gout, and I understood there was an issue with his kidneys (after all, why else would he be seeing a nephrologist?). What I didn't know was the full picture:

Congestive heart failure (diastolic variety) with a completely blocked artery in his right ventricle
Stage 3 chronic kidney disease
Chronic gout
Osteoporosis
Continued high cholesterol and blood pressure
Macular degeneration and cataracts

His doctor won't give me a timeline. He hemmed and hawed, and said that with the blocked artery, it could happen suddenly. Or he could live another few years. But, at this point, it's about quality of life. I know what that means... let him enjoy the little he has left.

My dad and I are not close. We never have been. But that phone call freaked me out hardcore.





So I called my wellness coach friend, and told her "tell me what to do, and I will do it!" 

By the way, this is her before and after:

Long story short, I've been on her plan for going on five days now.

I feel FANTASTIC!

I have more energy, am more focused, and my belly is noticeably flatter. I am working out, both cardio and strength... yesterday was an 8 mile bike ride with the family, followed by an upper body workout on the Bowflex. K is also offering a 12 week get -ready-for-summer challenge starting in March. I think I'm in!

I am hoping too that this healthy lifestyle I am working so hard on will affect the rest of the family. My kids did the full workout yesterday too. I'm making sure our meals are healthy, with good protein, plenty of fiber (mainly veggies and fruit), and healthy fats. I am making sure we all drink lots of water.

I AM DOING THIS!


No comments:

Post a Comment