Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Body, Mind, AND Soul...

 I've realized lately I need to look at things in a more holistic manner.

I also need to just keep going forward, despite the ups (too many) and the downs (not enough).

image courtesy of movemequotes.com

Even if it means crawling (maybe not literally).

I re-read my Why post, so I could remember that this is not a headlong dive into wanting to wear skinny jeans, or something like that. It is a JOURNEY. And that journey needs to include mental health, which is definitely an area of weakness these days.

I mean, can we say stress?
image courtesy of wtbangels.com

Obviously, I need to find some ways to balance my life a little, to maybe find some time for meditation (which I used to do in the mornings, and really enjoyed), AND approach health more holistically.

I have been exercising more, and enjoying it more, in the last week. I set aside the "I'm going to do this for x minutes to burn x calories" approach, and tried having fun. I learned to play flag football, went for a hike with my family, and then cruised through a family bike ride. I'd like to try yoga again, or maybe tai chi. I don't enjoy running, so am trying to decide if I actually want to keep half-heartedly pursuing it. I do like strength training, and should definitely be doing more of that.

Food-wise, I do really like vegetables, so I am eating more of those. I try to serve two veggies with dinner (not counting the ones incorporated in the "main dish"). I'm reading Mindless Eating, and waiting on a copy of The Slow Down Diet. I do enjoy food, a lot, so I am not interested in deprivation, more in learning to savor my food, to bulk it up wisely (produce!), and to not eat mindlessly.

As for my mind, I plan to set aside 10 minutes each morning to meditate. Maybe take a hot bath once a week, with a good book, and a mug of herbal tea. To relax myself with meditation techniques at bedtime. To enjoy my morning mile walks for the scenery and fresh air.

And I need to remember, this journey will take constant adjustment. There is no one, fixed course.

image courtesy of ldssmile.com

No comments:

Post a Comment