Pages

Friday, September 25, 2015

Why?

Why am I undertaking this journey?

Because...

I want to be able to enjoy my life to the fullest, for as long as possible.

I like feeling strong and healthy.

I want to be there for grandchildren, and maybe even great grandchildren.

I am watching my father's health deteriorate. He's 82, and has never taken good care of himself. He's got high cholesterol, high blood pressure, gout, macular degeneration, kidney issues off and on, etc.

I don't want high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, the risk of stroke... I know these things could happen anyway, but I can at least try to prevent them!

I want to be a good example for my children, especially The Girl, as like me she tends to eat more, and sit around more.

I've found I really like a lot of physical activities, and there are more I'd like to try! I love walking, hiking, swimming, and bodyboarding. I'd like to try stand-up paddle boarding, kayaking, more backpacking, maybe even some rock climbing. I want life to be an adventure!

You'll notice, it is not about looks. Sure, I would like to look better, to be able to maybe rock board shorts and a bikini top next summer (see, I'm not so delusional that I'm aiming for a bikini bottom too, not with these stretch marks!), but that's not at the heart of it. The heart of the matter is feeling good in and about my own body. To be friends with myself. To nurture and nourish myself.

Along those lines, I did something yesterday I have not really accomplished before... a 24 hour fast. I did drink a lot of Ultrabroth, and two Kombucha drinks (the chai is really tasty! Guava is okay), throughout the day, but I even skipped my coffee!


I did this as I felt bloated, tired, heavy, and somehow foggy. I can't lie and say it was easy, but today I feel better, and though the scale didn't budge, my stomach is noticeably flatter! And I can say I really enjoyed my morning breakfast burrito (whole wheat tortilla, 2 homegrown eggs, fresh salsa). I also slept like a dead thing, which I am sure helped.

I don't know that I will fast again anytime soon. I don't see it as a necessity, but it was overall a good experience.

Today I am back to eating my healthy foods, logging them on MyFitnessPal, and trying to get in 10,000 steps! Tonight's dinner is a family favoriteDeconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole—it's easy to make, healthy, and an all-in-one-bowl type of dinner, great after an afternoon at the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment