Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Doing This Together

Hey, I'm back! And I have some updates...first, I am putting a link to this blog on my main blog, which makes me feel very vulnerable. But then, accountability is supposed to help.

I also posted a recipe below for my quinoa salad, which even the kids love.

I've been tracking most days on MyFitnessPal, to which I have linked MapMyRun and Pacer. I love apps sometimes! My calorie goal is 1520 a day, to lose a pound and a half each week. Plus I get extra calories for exercising, though I am trying to use less of those. I've been walking regularly, and (my new addiction), bodyboarding when I can. I am eating a heavily plant based diet these days... sort of a loose Flexitarian approach (a wee bit more flexible for the kids and husband than for me) mixed with Intuitive Eating. And it seems to be working!

The best part is that I have help and partnership in this journey. The Girl decided she wants to get more fit too, and she's lost 3.5 pounds in two weeks just by eating more plant foods and moving almost every day. She swims with a friend, goes on walks with me, bodyboards, does roller derby practice, etc. According to CDC guidelines, she is currently 25-30 pounds overweight, which freaks me out, and which I feel horrible even needing to face, but she is totally making progress in the right direction. And The Boy has joined in too, because he wants to build muscle and endurance!

We started a new challenge this past weekend. Near our home, there is a regional park with a parcourse  (i.e. fitness) trail. We tackled it Saturday, in 90+ degree weather, and it took us literally two hours to do the whole 3.07 mile course. And truthfully, I struggled with some of the exercises -- apparently I am not good at jumping anymore! We're hoping it'll take less time next time, which will be the Saturday after the upcoming one (other plans that day). And we set a big goal... we hope to go on a [mild] backpacking trip late next spring, so we need to be in top shape for that. While the kids have gone backpacking before, the hike in to camp that time was only a mile and a half. I'd like to do the five mile hike in to another campground this time! Eventually we hope to do some backcountry backpacking.

Another way I get some workout time in is to take the kids to the local school after hours. They bring scooters and skateboards, while I tackle a flight of stairs over and over. And I take a walking break at work every morning. I found I can just get in a mile on my break!

Some recent inspiration...


and   

The first book helped me figure out some of my issues along with a general approach to tackling the weight loss. The second book helped me figure out how to help The Girl. I also look at the websites associated with the authors/subjects on a pretty regular basis: Can You Stay for Dinner and Breanna Bond.

I realized that this has to be a family approach... the healthy eating and exercising regularly. I don't want to cook two complete dinners each night, nor do I want to feed my kids unhealthy stuff. Together we've been looking at (rough) portion sizes, making sure we get plenty of fruits and veggies in, finding healthy snacks. And I find I really like doing this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment