Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

What's Up?



My husband has always been a meat and potatoes kind of guy. That's how he was raised, and that's how he functions. Yes, I could "sneak" in plant based/vegetarian dinners, but I couldn't say, "hey, this is a vegetarian meal!" I guess it is all in the presentation?



Anyhow, that's how it has been for almost 20 years, so you can imagine my surprise this week when he said "I want to go vegetarian for 28 days. I want all of us to do it together."



Which is funny, because The Girl had actually come to me earlier in the week, and said she wanted to try being a vegetarian for a few weeks, and all I did was say "Okay, I can help you with that." And, I had just (re) watched Forks Over Knives, and was in the midst of reading VB6 myself. So I was already in a good mindset. Still, M going along with this, of his own free will and desire, threw me for a loop. Regardless...


So, as of today, I am following the VB6 plan (pretty much... I still can't stand plant based creamers for my coffee), and we are all eating vegetarian. Thankfully I have a plethora of vegetarian cookbooks from my own vegetarian days (6 years vegetarian, 2 vegan... before kids), and there are tons of websites out there with good recipes. For example, Oh She Glows is a fabulous site! Tonight I'm making her 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta, which I know everyone in the house loves already. I already made her 5-Minute Oatmeal Power Bowl this morning, topped with diced Turkish dried apricots and a spoonful of peanut butter, a splash of almond milk...So good! And very satisfying.

I'm kind of cheating on lunch today. Usually I make my own foods, but I know today is super busy, so I'm taking a shortcut and trying this...

http://www.amys.com/products/product-detail/entrees/000978

This company has been pretty darn trustworthy for years, and the food is above average, by a long shot, for frozen. Their drive-thru is really good too!

And so it is launched, the great plant-based household food experiment of 2015! We're hoping to improve some health issues, satisfy everyone's taste buds, save a little money (beans and grains are much cheaper than meat!!!), and generally enjoy the journey! My mission is to prove to the family that eating this way can be very satisfying and delicious, and while we may not stick with it entirely after the 28 days, it is at least a step in what I think is a good direction for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment