Pages

Friday, December 11, 2015

Breakfast Roundup...

image courtesy of gregnockles.com
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And certainly, there is a lot out there to choose from when it comes to this meal. Do you want sweet? Do you prefer a savory meal? Heavy, light, or in between?

Here are a few of my favorite breakfast choices at the moment. I tend to lean more toward the savory side of things, but there are a few sweeter treats in here! {Note: Yes, I drink coffee daily, with milk or half and half.} And these have all been taste-tested, successfully, by my kids too!

Baked Oatmeal Cups, served with Greek yogurt and fruit
[note: I use a whole egg, and only 2 Tbsp. of honey, and I consider two of them a serving]

Whole wheat toast, or a whole grain English muffin, with almond or peanut butter, and sliced banana

"Country style" sweet potato (cook sweet potato most of the way, peel, cut into cubes, and saute until brown and crispy, using olive oil spray), with sauteed greens (kale or spinach), and a poached egg or two. Good with salsa as well!

Overnight, No-Cook Refrigerator Oatmeal
[I especially love fresh strawberries... this is more of a summertime treat]

5-Minute Oatmeal Power Bowl
[I make mine with soy milk, fwiw]

A whole grain [low-carb] tortilla, toasted lightly and filled with 1-2 scrambled eggs, a big handful of sauteed spinach, and salsa. Or, I use one egg plus an egg white, add a sprinkling of grated cheese, and make a quesadilla instead.

Whole grain sourdough toast, or a whole grain English muffin, topped with mashed avocado and a fried egg; fruit on the side

Once in a while, I love pancakes or waffles. I like this recipe, though I sub in whole wheat flour. I top pancakes/waffles with apple butter, or a homemade hot fruit sauce (just cook together some blueberries, tiny apple chunks, cinnamon, and a dash of vanilla. Add a spoonful of honey to taste.)

And sometimes, I just have Greek yogurt with raspberries or strawberries, and some chopped walnuts.

I also make baked oatmeal, an occasional fritatta, and I've found grits are really good when mixed with salt, pepper,and  a little cheese, and then topped with a soft cooked egg!

I'm always on the lookout for new breakfast ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment