Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

It's Been a While...

It's been quite a while since I even thought of this blog, but I decided it could really help as I move forward into a new phase of how I treat my body.

I am trying to move away from dieting, once and for all. Mentally, I just can't do it any more. I can't tell myself that there is one correct way to eat, and if I stray from it, I'm failing. I can't set this as the example for my kids. I can't live my life always avoiding certain foods. Now, if I had an actual food intolerance or allergy, that last part would likely be different, but since I don't, I can't. And more importantly perhaps, I won't anymore.

So...

NO MORE DIETS

What will I do instead, you ask?

I will learn to trust myself. My body can certainly let me know when it is hungry, and when it is full, if I am only willing to pay attention. I don't need a schedule to tell me when I should eat. I don't need a measured, weighed, carefully counted portion of food to tell me how much to eat.

No, I'm not going to sit around eating potato chips and chocolate cake (though that does sound kind of fun!!!). I happen to like feeling good in my body, and I know what kind of eating feels good. Michael Pollan said it best...

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Pretty simple and straightforward advice.

So I'm trying to pay attention to what I am craving. What foods keep popping up in my mind? Truthfully? Oatmeal and salad. Oatmeal with fruit, and nuts, a little vanilla, and a good dash of cinnamon. Salads with lots of crunchy vegetables, and garbanzo beans, and yummy dressing. Watermelon. Pineapple. Peaches. An occasional good sandwich, with turkey and avocado on sprouted rye. And yes, chocolate. Dark, rich little squares of chocolate. My favorite is this amazing 72% cacao chocolate from Trader Joe's. Just a piece or two is enough.

I am worried that I will gain weight back. I'm fluctuating between a 43 to 45 pound loss. I'd eventually like to lose more, maybe just 10 pounds, but am trying right now accept where I am, and to trust that my body will get to where it should be. I'm healthy, and that should be a stronger marker than a number on a scale!

Exercise is overall still good. I lift weights, pretty hardcore, 2-3 times a week. I do a fun circuit with friends, and their teens, at the park once a week. I ride my bike, walk the dog, go in the ocean, play Frisbee at the park with other friends, and so forth. I definitely consider myself active.

I found this video through a link on Facebook this morning, and I think it sums it all up nicely for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment