Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Chugging Along...

Yes, I am having trouble settling on a name for this blog. But I think I'm happy now!

I have a friend, about my age evenI'll call her K—who lost over 100 pounds a few years back, and has kept it off. She's now a wellness coach actually, and a huge inspiration! A few times, I have turned to her for advice, which she has freely given. And for a week, or two, I would follow it... at least half-heartedly. And then, strangely enough, only sort of following what worked for her would not work for me, and I'd give up.

Now, about a week and a half ago, I decided to ask her about calories. And she messaged me back, giving me her advice (her advice, btw, never go below 1600, but focus primarily on protein and water). And then she asked if there was anything else she could do to help.

(In case you want to figure out your actual caloric needs, try this formula)

Umm, yeah. I can use some help.

So I asked if I could check in with her once a week. And she said yes, that she would love that.

Something has clicked in me this time. Yes, I am a repeat dieter. I have tried many a food plan and exercise plan, only to give up. This time though... I'm not sure how to explain it. Part of it is that I feel I owe her for wasting her time in the past. Part of it is that I really want to set the best example I can for my twelve year old daughter, since she's a bit of a couch potato. Part of it is that my fourteen year old son loves that I am more active with him—we go bike riding together, work out together, and he wants to try trail running together. And part of it is that I just really want to be fit and healthy. I am tired of weighting/waiting.

image courtesy of indulgy.com

Plus, eating healthfully and moving feel so good!

Well, except today. Today I am sore all over. I swear I can feel EVERY muscle in my body. For that, I blame those BeachBody Insanity dvds my sister passed on to me. Which, as they currently raise my heart level a little too much, I may set aside for the time being, in favor of my treadmill, my Bowflex, bicycle, and of course, the great outdoors. Living in northern California I'm lucky that I can exercise outside nearly year round. Plus, the dvds are a little isolating, and I want fitness to be a family endeavor. 

(Here's a heart rate formula for you too)

So K is there for me to check in with, to give me a boost, and advice, when I need it. I have also started reading weight loss memoirs for some added inspiration, and when I have downtime at the college library (a job hazard), I've been reading through current and back issues of fitness/health magazines.

On my reading list:
Secrets of a Former Fat Girl (currently reading)
The Incredible Shrinking Critic
Half-Assed: A Weight Loss Memoir
The Weight Loss Diaries

I've already read:
It Was Me All Along: A Memoir (great book!)
Passing for Thin: Losing Half My Weight and Finding Myself (also very good)
Who's The New Kid? (inspiration for helping my twelve year old)
I'm With Fatty: Losing Fifty Pounds in Fifty Miserable Weeks (funny and informative)

I'll probably find some more titles later on.

On the agenda:
Figure out healthy dinners for the rest of the week. I've got breakfast and lunch covered.
Walk a lot today. I walk a mile on my break time at job 1, which is a good start at least!
Full workout tomorrow.
Lots of walking Friday.
Full workout Saturday/Family exercise time (hiking?)

I'll leave you with a motivational image...


image courtesy of rebloggy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment